Saturday, April 7, 2012

Organizing my Pantry

I'm so excited about this project!

I have spent the majority of this week reorganizing the shelves in my kitchen/pantry.  I've been aching to do it for months, but haven't had the energy.  Yay for nesting!!

One of my most anticipated projects was inspired by this pin: 

This is such a great idea and it sent my mind spinning in all sorts of fun and organized directions!  I got myself some simple baskets, but then I couldn't figure out where to go from there.

Then I discovered Mindy Mae's Market.  Awesome place, by the way!  Lots of great supplies at great prices!  There, I found these 4 x 6 sheets of steel.  
You know I love all things magnetic, right?  You did know that, didn't you?  

Well, you do now.

Oh boy!!!

Here's what I did. 
I spent way too much time looking through my masses of cute scrapbook paper and finally picked out the designs I liked.  I cut two 4" x 3/4" pieces and two 6" x 3/4" pieces.
(can you see me?)

I Mod Podged those around the borders of the steel sheet.  

insert picture here...
(heehee, just kidding.  Someone forgot to remind me to take a picture of that.)

While those were drying, I dug out these cool glass marble rock things...
...and more cute scrapbook paper.

I cut the paper to fit on the flat side of the rock... 

...then Mod Podged the life out of them. 
Prepare to get messy...and prepare for the 3-year-old in your house to be worried about that mess and your fingers getting stuck to everything for the rest of your life.

Let them dry and DONE!  Almost.

Next, I took my itty bitty, super-duper strong magnets and hot glued them to the paper side of the rocks.

While the hot glue gun was out and smoking, I also glued my sheets of steel to the baskets (and, once again, no picture...but I'm sure you can picture that one)

Put your fancy magnets on the pretty steel and look at what you have! 
Oooo, pretty!

Here's what I am going to do with them:

For each recipe I have planned, I will make a list of the ingredients and print it out.  (The ingredients in the fridge or freezer is in italics...side note: I think I need a basket in the fridge.)
I may or may not glue them all to scrapbook paper.  That all depends on my mood.

Eventually I will have a nice little collection of recipes and their ingredients, which should make my menu planning easier.  I can even sort them into categories!  Slow cooker recipes, favorite recipes, chocolate recipes....Oh!  I'm so excited.

Anyway, once I have done my shopping, I can put these little cards on my baskets...

...and then load my baskets with the ingredients I need for the week. 

This should help with a few things:
1) Now the Mister will know what food is claimed, so he won't eat something that shouldn't be eaten.
2) I am hoping this will help me keep better tabs on what I have in my pantry...to help prevent waste.
3) I'm going to feel super awesome when I go to prepare dinner and pull my little basket out with all the ingredients ready to go!  Super Mom, what?!

Seriously, I'm so excited!

By the way, Embracing Messy is holding a craft competition that I am linking this up to.

I'm also linking up with my usuals.

9 comments:

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

I love all things magnetic too :) Love how it turned out! Thanks so much for linking up! Hope to see you over at my place again :) Following your cute blog now! Happy Week to you!

Shiloh said...

This is such a great idea! I'm seriously thinking about maybe seeing if it would work in our pantry.
What do you do with all the spices that you'd use for a meal? Are they in a different location?

Unknown said...

Thank you, Shiloh! I keep my spices on a separate spice rack, so I leave them there, just because that is easier for me. I also have my onions and potatoes in their own spot, but, if I have room in the basket, I'll put them in there. There is also stuff in the fridge that I plan on making another basket for. I hope that helps!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

This is such a great idea!!!

Luanne Hardy said...

This is awesome and when I have more space I will do it too.

Melanie @ bear rabbit bear said...

This is an awesome idea- would help the hubby out too~ lol Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!

Unknown said...

Great idea!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Beautiful idea! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife said...

That's a great idea.